She can bake a cherry pie…

It all started with a trip to Aldi's.  Even though I am a certified Lidl Super Fan*, my sister has been recently exclaiming about the great deals to be found at Aldi's.  I am due to provide a meal for family members going through a crisis, so I shopped at Aldi's for ingredients.

One bargain that caught my eye were these canned sour cherries--$1.49, if I remember correctly....Three jars hopped into my cart.

 

Perusing recipes at home, I remembered that I had a bumper crop of fresh ricotta from this week's cheese (a four pound cheddar).  



Digging through the fridge, I also found some goodies left over 
from our St Patrick's Day gathering.

It all blended together nicely, and the leftover Bailey's Irish Cream frosting provided enough sweetness to build a cheesecake-like layer for the bottom of the pie. 




I had some assistance with the clean-up!


The cherry liquid from the jars needed thickening, so I reduced the juice first, 
then added a small amount of cornstarch.

 



The big one will go with the meal train, but we get to keep the little one!




I had hoped that the cherries would stay as a top layer, 
but they had a mind of their own!



 



Hope it tastes as good as it looks!

*Click here for proof that I'm a Lidl Super Fan