Preparing for Chickens


  Those of you who know me as a preschool teacher know that I have a thing about chickens!

Every year, we would hatch a batch in the classroom, raise them until administration would hint, "When are those birds going head to the farm....???"  
chicks in preschool

Well, FINALLY, now that I'm at my dad's house, I plan to keep those chicks until they are all grown up, and then some!

I have an ambitious plan for a mobile chicken coop:



The plans I found online looked great with a materials list and step by step illustrated instructions.  I said to myself--"Let's make this easy:  Just add all the items to a shopping cart from a big-box hardware store and have them deliver it all at once:  Easy-Peasy!"

That was January 10th...Today, I got the final piece of the delivery after many back-and-forths: multiple missing items, and wrong items delivered (twice!).  And today, I even had to go get that last missing piece myself!

But honestly, I must confess to some procrastination on my part as well.  But now that I have every piece of wood, hinge, and wire, let the construction commence!
essential reading!

This time, I don't plan on hatching the chicks myself, but down here, most of the farm stores offer week-old chicks. I'll have lots of different varieties to choose from.  First batch of chicks will arrive at the local farm store on March 29th...Stayed tuned!